The Walking School Bus is a partnership between Get Healthy DeSoto and Vineland Elementary. It is open to all fourth grade students. Fifth and sixth graders who have previously participated may also take part.
The purpose of the Walking School Bus is to encourage students to include exercise into their daily routine. This program allows them to learn basic safety rules for walking on sidewalks and trails.
Date and Place
- The Walking School Bus will take place on the following 8 Fridays this school year: September 9th, September 23rd, September 30th, October 7th, April 7th, April 21st, April 28th, and May 5th.
- Students must be dropped off the the DeSoto Public Library between 7:45 and 8:00 AM. The route will be from the library following Main Street to Vineland School Road along the sidewalks to the elementary.
- Students will be given breakfast upon arrival at school.
- The students will walk in small groups with an adult leader. All leaders have been through a background check.
- Participating students will have a short training on safety presented by the police department.
- During the one mile walk to school, students will participate in positive discussions, such as making healthy eating choices and the importance of exercising.
- Students will receive a t-shirt the second week of the Walking School Bus.
- Any student who has attended at least 6 of the 8 days will be eligible to attend an incentive award activity.
Parents & Siblings
- Parents or guardians are invited to walk with the group.
- Siblings of fourth, fifth, and sixth grades students will be allowed to walk with the group IF A PARENT WALKS. If the parent does not walk, siblings will not be allowed to walk with the group.
- Siblings are not eligible for the incentives.
- Should we have to cancel the Walking School Bus due to weather, you will receive a Remind101 text. You can sign up for the Walking School Bus text alerts by texting @WSBDesoto to 81010.
If you would like your child to participate this year, you must complete the permission slip and return it to your child’s homeroom teacher by Wednesday, August 31, 2016. For a permission slip or any questions you might have, please contact Annie O’Shea at 314-223-6716 or firstname.lastname@example.org.