(from Recipes for Life-Healthy Choice)
- 1 cup bran flakes cereal with raisins
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup frozen cholesterol-free egg product (or 1 egg)
- 1/2 cup chopped red cooking apple
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup non-fat buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Spray 12 muffin cups with nonstick vegetable cooking spray or line cups with paper liners. Set aside. Combine cereal, flours, sugar, pie spice, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large mixing bowl. Add buttermilk, applesauce, egg product and oil. Stir just until dry ingredients are moistened. Fold in apple. Spoon batter evenly into prepared muffin cups. Bake for 20-23 minutes, or until lightly browned. Loosen muffins from rim of pan. Cool before removing from pan. Serves 12. Serving Size is 1 muffin.
Nutritional Info Per Serving: Calories 122; Total Fat 3g; Saturated Fat 3g; Cholesterol 1mg; Sodium 122mg; Total Carbohydrate 22g; Dietary fiber 2g; Sugars 9g; Protein 3g. Diet Exchanges: 1 ½ starch.