Back by popular demand, we are again doing a fall event to raise money for our farmers’ market. This year’s four-course dinner, vendor showcase, and silent auction will be held on Sunday, September 15, 2019 at 5 pm. Save the date. Tickets go on sale soon!
May 18th marks our Military Appreciation Day at the farmers’ market. Active duty military get a $5 token to be used at the market and a small gift in appreciation of their service. Veterans will also receive a small gift. It is just our way of saying “thank you” for your service to our country. We’ll also have cake…until we run out, and the colors will be presented at 8:15 am by the American Legion Post 253. Gary Doyen will sing the Star Spangled Banner after that. We’ll also have our regularly schedule music: the Byers Brothers from 9-11 with a special performance by the Rockin’ Hawks Choir at 10 am. (These are 4th grade students from Hillsboro.) Please make plans to attend.
There will also be a raffle basket, and May 18th is also a $2 day for P.O.P. Club. Bring the kids!
Although the market has been open for a couple of weeks now, our grand opening will be on May 4, 2019. It will truly be grand! Here are some of the things planned:
- Spring produce is really starting to come on strong. We should have lettuce, bok choy, asparagus, spinach, and more. We’ll also have some great plants for sale. You can sign up to get the email announcements about vendors and specials by contacting us or completing a form in the market office.
- Live music from 9-11 by Mosher Bay. This is a new duo to the market, but both characters might be familiar to you.
- Loyalty Club: this is a new program to reward our return customers. You can enter to win $25 worth of market tokens that can be used for anything! Think of the possibilities. See Market Master Cindy to sign up for the program and learn more here.
- Kids’ Corner from 9-11. It’s a place for kids to hang out while their adult shops. We usually have some fun activity planned, and this week the coordinator is Marge. Be sure to stop by.
- It’s the first Saturday of the month, and P.O.P. Club is making its return. This year though, it will be available on the first and THIRD Saturdays. Click here for all the details.
- MU Extension will have their food truck on-site. Extension helped us get the market started those many years ago, and has been a big supporter. Be sure to stop by and see Gidget and Gang.
- Raffle basket: want a chance to win some of the fine produce and goods that our vendors offer. Raffle tickets are $1 each or 6 for $5. We draw the winner at 11:45, but you need not be present to win…just write legibly!
- Customer Appreciation Game! We’re not giving away anymore details. You’ll have to visit the market office from 8-noon on Saturday to find out.
P.O.P. Club is just for kids! Available to kids ages 4-12, the program is designed to encourage healthy eating. On the first and third Saturdays of each month during the market season, kids who enroll in the program will receive $2 of market tokens to purchase produce! That’s right: $2 worth of tokens. They don’t have to do anything but show up at the P.O.P. Club table and have a parent or guardian sign them up.
Now kids being the way they are, some will immediately go spend their tokens on lettuce, broccoli, or as the season progresses, tomatoes, peppers, etc. Some know what October brings though, and are diligent enough to save their tokens across the entire season for…pumpkins! Regardless of the kind of kid in your household, P.O.P. Club might be just the thing to encourage a little more vegetable and a little less candy. The kids can get a free sticker too if they check in at the market on other Saturdays as well.
And yes, for you discerning parents and guardians out there, 2019 P.O.P. Club is offered on the first and third Saturdays. The addition of the third Saturday was due to the generosity of this year’s wonderful sponsor: the Jefferson County Health Department!
If you or someone you know might be interested in sponsoring our farmers’ market, this is where you’ll find information about how to do that.
The DeSoto Farmers’ Market relies on sponsors to cover some marketing costs, special programs (such as our Power of Produce Club for kids), supplies for special events like Veterans Appreciation Day, Cardinal Day, and others, as well as customer appreciation activities. The money raised through sponsorship is a vital part of the market’s budget, and we recognize the sponsors as such.
Levels of sponsorship can be found here, but a brief outline is below as well.
- Garden Champions include businesses and individuals giving $500 or more. This entitles them to a free booth at the market, their name listed at the market with other sponsors, and inclusion on flyers, newspaper advertisements, and our website (including a link to the business’ address as appropriate).
- Harvest Hands are those donating $250-$499. They receive a free booth at the market each month, and their name is listed at the market, included on flyers, added to our website, and included on advertisements we place in the newspaper.
- Green Helpers donate $100-$249, and the donor receives a free booth at the market once during the 2019 season. The business or individual is listed on flyers for special events and is included on our website.
- Seedlings are generally individuals, but also includes businesses that donate $25-$99. This is usually where new sponsors who are less familiar with our market start. It simply allows you to start becoming part of the market community and gets your name listed on our website. Although not as glamorous as some of the other levels, sponsors at this level are just as vital to our mission of promoting access to fresh local produce and artisans in an environment that encourages healthy eating, healthy living, and fosters community connections.
Our market is the Saturday morning place to be, and we sincerely want you to be a part of it. If you are so inclined to join us in our mission and support the market, please contact Melissa at 314-471-3681 or simply mail your check to
DeSoto Farmers’ Market
c/o Get Healthy DeSoto
1002 Rock Rd
DeSoto, MO 63020
Once again, thank you for supporting your market. Together we can make a difference in our communities and continue cultivating food and community. Please make a gift now.