Social wellness involves having a strong support network, feeling connected to other peoples, and having a sense of belonging. Feeling isolated, lonely, or disconnected from others can lead to negative physical and mental health outcomes. Healthy relationships we make with family and friends are essential to our wellbeing.
Social wellness includes:
- Taking part in a club, social group, or volunteer group
- Focus on maintaining social connections by keeping in touch and staying connected with others
- Being able to interact with a diverse group of people
- Being aware of your impact in your community
- Being able to draw boundaries with yourself and others
- Having a strong support network of family, friends, co-workers, and peers
- Developing positive relationships
- Having good communication skills
- Being able to reach out to others for support and ask for help when needed
Take care of yourself while caring for others
Many of us will end up becoming a caregiver at some point in our lives. The stress and strain of caregiving can take a toll on your health. It’s important to find ways to care for your health while caring for others. Depending on your circumstances, some self-care strategies may be more difficult to carry out than others. Choose ones that work for you.
To take care of yourself while caring for others:
- Get organized. Make to-do lists, and set a daily routine.
- Ask for help. Make a list of ways others can help. For instance, someone might sit with the person while you do errands.
- Try to take breaks each day. Finding respite care can help you create time for yourself or to spend with friends.
- Keep up with your hobbies and interests when you can.
- Join a caregiver’s support group. Meeting other caregivers may give you a chance to exchange stories and ideas.
- Eat healthy foods, and exercise as often as you can.
- Build your skills. Some hospitals offer classes on how to care for someone with an injury or illness. To find these classes, ask your doctor or contact your local Area Agency on Aging.
Leave a Reply