The Walking School Bus is a partnership between Get Healthy DeSoto and Vineland Elementary. It is open to all fourth grade students. Fifth and sixth graders who have previously participated may also take part.
The purpose of the Walking School Bus is to encourage students to include exercise into their daily routine. This program allows them to learn basic safety rules for walking on sidewalks and trails.
Date and Place
- 2018! The Walking School Bus will take place on 5 Fridays this Spring.
- Students will be given breakfast upon arrival at school.
- The students will walk in small groups with an adult leader. All leaders have been through a background check.
- Participating students will have a short training on safety presented by the police department.
- During the walk to school, students will participate in positive discussions, such as making healthy eating choices and the importance of exercising.
- Students will receive a t-shirt the third week of the Walking School Bus.
Parents & Siblings
- Parents or guardians are invited to walk with the group.
- Siblings of fourth, fifth, and sixth grades students will be allowed to walk with the group IF A PARENT WALKS. If the parent does not walk, siblings will not be allowed to walk with the group.
- Siblings are not eligible for the incentives.
- Should we have to cancel the Walking School Bus due to weather, you will receive a Remind101 text from the Vineland Elementary Remind account.
Please contact Doréan Dow at 636-586-1000 or firstname.lastname@example.org.