With World Blood Donor Day fast approaching, now is the perfect time to consider becoming a life-saving hero. On June 14th the world will celebrate World Blood Donor Day to thank those who donate blood and to raise awareness of the ongoing need to ensure a safe and plentiful blood supply.
Here’s the breakdown…
- Every 2 seconds someone in the U.S. needs a blood transfusion.
- Only 38% of the population is eligible to donate blood and of that group only 10% donate.
- Blood products are an essential part of care for individuals with cancer, traumatic injuries and chronic illnesses.
- Approximately 21 million blood components are transfused each year in the U.S.
- 1 donation can save up to 3 lives.
- Donated blood expires after just 42 days.
- 66 countries report collecting less than 10 donations per 1,000 people.
- Despite many medical advances blood products cannot be manufactured.
- 45% of the blood supply comes from individuals age 50 or older.
- Registration – sign in, ID verification, basic eligibility questions.
- Health History – answer questions about your medical and travel history, have your vital signs and iron level checked.
- Donation – recline on a comfy cot while a specially trained blood center staff member draws your blood, a quick pinch is all you will feel, your donation will be complete in about 10 minutes.
- Refreshments – enjoy a snack, cool drink and relish in the satisfaction of giving a life-saving gift.
- Recovery – You’ll be on your way and back to your normal routine in as little as 15 minutes.
As you have read the need for blood is great and continual. The supply can easily be depleted; however, the process of donation is simple. Please consider being a blood donor. Lives depend on it.
How to locate a blood drive near you –
Article written by Sarah Warncke, RN.