Many things can influence a child, including friends, teachers, and the things they see when they sit in front of the TV or computer. If you’re a parent, know that your everyday behavior plays a big part in shaping your child’s behavior, too. With your help, kids can learn to develop healthy eating and physical activity habits that last throughout their lives.
Check out some ways to build a healthier lifestyle here
The Jefferson County Health Department’s Mobile Health Center will be at the Desoto Farmer’s Market on June 27th and 28th (The market is not open these days). The mobile unit provides treatment for minor injuries and illnesses, prevention and wellness services, health screenings sports physicals, nutrition consultations, and resource and provider referrals.
Call 636-797-3737 ext. 303 to schedule your screening, physical or other needs. Walk-Ins are welcome!
Children can be helpful in the kitchen and the meal planning process starting at a young age. Introducing them to grocery shopping and cooking early on can help them feel comfortable with more foods and will give them lifelong skills, too! Knowing what to put on a grocery list, how to shop the different layouts of stores, and budgeting can be very helpful; and it can make the grocery store trip a little easier. Try these 5 tips today!
Find the tips here:
Summer is a great time to go out and have fun in the water. However, recreational waters—including swimming pools, lakes, and oceans—can sometimes get contaminated with bacteria and viruses. Swimming in contaminated water can make you and your family sick.
Check out some steps you can take to stay safer while playing in the water.
Try out this new pasta recipe that sneaks some vegetables in at the same time.
Hopson Lumber Companyhttps://www.facebook.com/HopsonLumber/
Kozzy’s on Mainhttps://www.facebook.com/kozzysBG
Twin City Toyota https://www.twincitytoyota.com/
Johnston Construction http://www.johnston-construction.com/
First State Community Bank https://www.fscb.com/
Enterprise Bank and Trust https://www.enterprisebank.com/locations/desoto/
Pogolino’s Desoto https://www.facebook.com/Pogolinos-of-DeSoto-352677575130
Werner C Stichling & Associates, Inchttps://stichlingassociates.com/
Intellectual wellness encourages you to engage in creative and mentally-stimulating activities. These activities should expand your knowledge and skills while allowing you to share your knowledge and skills with others.
For many of us, the last few years have blurred the lines between work and home. Chronic stress and burnout are on the rise, but with simple strategies for scheduling breaks, building boundaries, and winding down your workday, you can reduce stress and reclaim your inner calm.
Take scheduled breaks
Keep daily stress in check with planned pauses in your workday for standing, stretching, and breathing. These simple activities have an immediate calming effect for the body and mind. Try deep breathing for just one minute and end with an easy stretch. Repeat as needed to refresh and refocus.
Create work-life harmony
It’s easy to get caught up in today’s culture of busyness and anchor our self-worth around a packed to-do list. This is unsustainable and can lead to burnout. Be honest with yourself about your workload. Set a reasonable schedule and let that be your guide. Commit to your boundaries and don’t be afraid to say no to unnecessary meetings.
Unplug to recharge
Just as your phone needs to recharge after constant use, so does your brain. It’s important to mentally shut off from work mode and let your mind unwind. A quick meditation can help you close out each day to shift your focus to restorative activities like connecting with others or getting a good night’s rest.
Thank you to everyone who participated! These are the results.
Special thanks to our race Sponsors:
- D & S Fencing Co., Inc.
- First State Community Bank
- DeSoto Chiropractic, P.C.
- Johnston Construction
- Kozzy’s on Main
- Screens and Threads
- Twin City Toyota
- Andrew Jury Farmers Insurance Agency
- DeSoto Elks 689
- Hopson Lumber Co.
- Kummer Family Dental
- Ponder- Bates Stewart Law Offices LLC
- Wegmann Law Firm
- Wilburn S. Hinch, Inc.
- Drummond Florist
Please Print Application in the link below and return to Pat Mattheny per directions on the application.
The Winter Flakes Race is experiencing some changes. Most of them are positive, unless you’re a 10K runner who anticipates a fairly flat course. (More about that some other time…like after the race!) Here are the basics:
- There’s a new course! We will start and end at the DeSoto Farmers’ Market pavilion. This is exciting news. See point 3.
- We have a new Diamond Sponsor! D & S Fencing is our Diamond Sponsor this year. They are great supporters of local events and organizations, and we’re lucky to partner with them this year. If you have a fencing need, give them a shout.
- Do you know what is right next door to the DeSoto Farmers’ Market? Kozzy’s on Main. And Rodney, the proprietor, has agreed to open up the place for packet pick-up on Friday evening before the race and after the race on Saturday as well. In fact, on Saturday, your race bag might contain a coupon that gets you a free cup of hot cocoa or a free beer (depending on your age and preference). Okay, forget the might. He agreed to it, so you’ll find a coupon in your race bag for that. Don’t lose it!
- The last day to register for the race and be guaranteed the long-sleeved t-shirt and get the early bird discount is February 18, 2023. You can register online and get further details here.